Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Blog #9: Argument and Counter-Argument

For my research, I am looking into why mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression, are at an all-time high and how they are affecting students, particularly first-generation students. I have found an ample amount of research showing that first-generation students tend to experience higher mental health problems. Recently, I found an article from the Journal of College Student Psychotherapy called “Supporting the Mental Health Needs of First-Generation College Students” by Lisa A House, Chelsea Neal, and Jason Kolb. In this article, they did research on first-generation students and looked if they really do experience more mental health problems as opposed to their first-generation peers. These researchers found that “The univariate testing found that there was no significant difference for depression, anxiety, social anxiety, eating concerns, hostility, alcohol use, and overall distress based on the first-generation status” (House, Neal, Kolb 5). I do not agree with this because all the research I have found clearly has found that first-generation students are in fact prone to higher mental health problems. I am still doing more research to see if any other others agree with this research.

No comments:

Post a Comment